Sunday, August 4, 2013

Practice With an Epic Gouache fail

Today was a lesson in an epic failure.  I did a self portrait drawing and then over confidently decided to try and execute a gouache painting.  It ended after about 40 minutes in complete failure.  I dont know shit about painting and this proved it.  First, I tried using the Zorn pallette.  I thought by limiting my options I could stand a better chance.  Well, I dont know much about mixing colors, especially in that pallette which is basically 5 colors: Black/White/Yellow/Red/Raw Sienna.  To get blue for instance you mix black and white.  I know... you're thinking grey.  But try it.  It is blue, especially next to red.

Well I bombed.  Hard.  So I wondered why.  I dont know how to paint with Gouache.  I dont know how to mix colors.  It's not like photoshop with a simple picker.  My eyes are poorly trained for color and this is now something i'll work on.  

Instead of feeling bad, I decided to execute the same idea again but with watercolor pencils.  It turned out much better and more agreeable.  I still think I need work on really painting form and value.  But It looks and feels much more solid and clearly communicates the self portrait.

Then I just messed around with pen and some designs








No comments:

Post a Comment